Are you a Nigerian? do you have friends and family in diaspora or home who are doing well for themselves but will ignore your request to send money all the time? before you call them stingy or wicked, here are some of the reasons why rich friends do not give out money;
1. They don’t have enough: Enough is subjective, someone can earn as much as $100,000/annum but feel he’s not earning enough, some people have these dreams of being wealthy and that salary isn’t sufficient to get them there. So you have a friend/relative who works in a big firm abroad, you think he’s rich, he thinks he isn’t earning enough. Even millionaires have needs too.
2. You are not the only one making financial demands: You think you are his best friend because you went to secondary school together and were seat mate or bunk mates in the hostel so automatically he should be predisposed to meeting your needs, well there are primary school best friends, university best friends, first love, NYSC best friends, Neighbours, uncles, aunties, brothers etc who think their request should be met too. It is impossible to meet all these needs.
3. Making financial demand is never a one time thing: I had this habit of giving money to people who ask for financial favors the first time. I thought since they never asked for such before, they must really be in need. I soon found out that after that first time they run to me whenever they need money again, sometimes they space out the request like two months, some every month etc. I then realize that the $100, $200 i send them is never going to be sufficient, they will always come back for more. So i joined the God will provide gang.
4. Yahoo boys : Not every fraudster hacks into companies accounts, or forge the accountants signature, or even find lonely older women/men to scam. Some yahoo boys have resorted to begging, they send you message of how their dad is dying in the hospital, how their sister got arrested for a crime she didn’t commit and they need a lawyer bla bla, they call these lies format and once you send them money they pop champagne and call you client.
5. General realization : One day i was going through my bank statement and i noticed i gave out about $500 monthly to family and friends. The same me who will walk into H & M, see a shirt of $40 and think it’s too costly. I either buy it grudgingly or wait till it’s on sale to buy. I realized i wasn’t taking care of myself enough. Most people will come to this realization at a point in their lives.
This thread isn’t limited to just people abroad, it include people who work and earn who are home based too. How do you cope with demands?Diasporans what made you rethink your generousity?